The All Year Ramblers is a friendly, independent hill-walking club, based in Edinburgh. We organise guided walks for our members every week of the year, come rain or shine, in some of Scotland’s most beautiful countryside.
As we have been doing this regularly every year since 1953, we have a ‘repertoire’ of walks which is second-to-none, taking in areas as far afield as Galloway, the Cairngorms and the West Highlands, as well as lesser known areas on our own doostep.
We welcome new members, and aim to provide walks of varying grades, to cater for a range of abilities. This is reflected in the wide age range of our membership.
The name ‘Ramblers’ has stuck, but in fact some of our walks can be quite adventurous, including munro-bagging forays, hostel and backpacking weekends. This is balanced with easier, low-level walks throughout the year.
So if you want to explore the Scottish countryside, enjoy good company, and get fit into the bargain, why not get in touch with us?
What makes AYR Edinburgh different?
Every walking club has its traditions and characteristics. The following are some of the distinctive features of the All Year Ramblers :
- One or more walks every Sunday of the year, led by volunteer members who ‘recce’ the routes beforehand; a typical length would be about 8 to 10 miles in winter and 11 to 13 miles in summer. We also organise mid-week walks twice a month, and occasional shorter walks of 5 to 7 miles.
- Walks in a wide range of areas and terrains – from rugged mountain ridges to beaches, canals, woodland tracks and country parks. No matter how well you may know Scotland, the likelihood is you’ll discover something new or see it from a different perspective. Check out our photo gallery to see some of the areas we go to.
- Travel to and from walks by private coach; or by service buses and trains. Leave the car at home and relax on the way back, after enjoying a wee refreshment at our traditional pub stop. We know where all the best hostelries are !
- As we can arrange for buses to drop us off and pick us up at different points, we are not constrained to circular routes. We use this to full advantage, undertaking some interesting cross-country routes such as through the Lairig Ghru, or across Rannoch Moor. On private buses we offer a choice of at least two, and usually three, different graded walks.
- Three or four weekend meets every year, usually at hostels : a chance to get away from it all, explore far-flung areas (from Wester Ross to Snowdonia, and the Yorkshire Dales to Northern Ireland), and spend convivial evenings with others who share a passion for the great outdoors.
- Our walking activities are complemented by a full programme of social events. Club members can also take advantage of discounts at local outdoor shops.
- We always attempt to keep costs as low as possible so that no-one need be excluded. Our annual subscription is just £15, and private bus fares are charged at a fixed rate to all destinations (currently £12 – great value for money !)
If you would like to find out additional information about AYR, you can read and download a copy of our constitution here: